Saturday, May 8, 2010

Remedial Whiffle Scoring

I need to let the various and sundry members of the Whiffle and Ale Club know that I do intend to take a vacation this Summer. I will not be in attendance for every game. On those occasions, someone will need to take ownership of the scoring. By that I mean the scoring during the game; I will be always happy to maintain the season's stats and update the current stats link on the blog page. No problem.

No, what I mean is, the scoresheet that comes to me AFTER the game needs to make at least a little sense. So here's what I can glean from the cuneiform I received today: The final score was 5 to 0, with The Commish, The Artist and The Bandit constituting the winning side. That I know. The losing team appears to have started out: Hans, Kim and Laura. It appears that Laura left early and that Brent took her place, but there were two innings when both were in the batting order.

I will need an eye witness to explain the rest of these anomalies:
- Why in the top of the third did Glen pitch FOUR outs? K, K, K, Single, Ground out?
- How did Peter give up the following sequence: Single, K, Double, Double, K, K - but surrender no runs in the fifth?
- Why is there a doodle of a flower along with Glen's third inning Double off Laura?

All that aside, the two most important things about Whiffle Scoring that I must convey are these:
1. Whiffle players DO NOT score; ghost runners score.
2. Ghosts do not have stats.

Thus, when one hits a Triple with a runner aboard, Eric, it is not important to figure out who scored, Peter. It is important to note that the Triple also resulted in 1 RBI, Glen. Your collective obsession with figuring out who scored made your third inning, ten batter, four run outburst off Laura nearly indecipherable.

But "good games" all around for those who came out on a blustery, cold morning. The stats are up to date.

1 comment: