Sunday, May 23, 2010

Airway to Heaven (with apologies to everyone)

Now Stats and Baker know that all wiffle bats are not gold
And they’re watching his hits sail to heaven
When they get there they know, if the record books are all closed
With one more pitch he will get what he came for
And they’re watching his hits sail to heaven

There’s a strike zone on the wall, but they want to be sure
Cause you know sometimes chalk-lines are deceiving
In the grass by first base, there’s a ball that still spins
Sometimes all of our pitches are misgiven
Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it makes me wonder……

There’s a feeling I get when I look to the fence
And my shots are crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen asphalt dust through the breeze
And the voices of those who stand looking
Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it really makes me wonder…..

And it’s a sight no longer unseen, if we look toward Aberdeen
Then the Artist will lead us this season
And a new day will dawn for the Oakwood Wiffle throng
And the ballpark will echo with laughter

If there’s crack in your new ball, don’t be alarmed now,
It’s just another dinger for the the May-King
Yes, there are two teams you can play on, but in the long run
There’s still time to change the one you’re on.
And it makes me wonder…..

Your head is humming and it won’t go, in case you don’t know,
The Artist calls on you to join him
Dear Wifflers, can you see the balls go, and did you know,
Their pathway lies past the home-run line

And as we wind on down the season
Our average greater than the rest
And would-be wifflers we all know
Who sweat and pant and want to show
That their bats can still spin gold
And if you listen very hard
You can see the smell of fear
To be a pitcher without a throw

And his hits are sailing to heaven

1 comment: