Saturday, August 28, 2010

This is actually quite embarrassing.

At the request of Glen "The Artist" Cebulash, I was taking a second look at the stats after today's game.  Glen expressed a concern that the stats did not take into full account his innings pitched and his other asphalt performances.  So, I ran the standard program for looking over individual stats, known as the "Eldridge Query," to see if anything looked amiss.

It had Glen at 157 Batters Faced after today's play, which is 6 more than last week - CORRECT as Glen pitched two perfect innings today.  Everything seems to be working, the database is correctly accounting for all of his play.  But then, something else strange caught my eye.

It did not make sense to me that Laura Hume had 8.666 (eight and two-thirds) innings pitched.  The partial innings are a result of playing in a 1-on-1-on-1 game, where the innings are two out affairs.  Laura had never played in one of those games.  So I ran the "Eldridge Query" for Hume's stats and did find a mistake, error, .. a play mis-recorded in the stats database.

The database showed one of Laura's innings ending on a home run, but no RBI on the play.  The result was, of course, that the database never showed Laura completing that inning, thus the two-thirds on her pitching record.  I verified the scoresheet from June 26, 2010 to see how the inning was recorded at the time - Fly Out was the final play.  It seems that Fly Out to end an inning was entered as a Home Run in the database by mistake.

This has been corrected in the current stats, and I offer my sincerest apology to Laura Hume for incorrectly charging her with a home run allowed, when in fact that never happened. You will note, too, that Glen has one fewer home run, as he was the author of that Fly Out.  Sorry, Glen.

4 comments:

  1. I admire this work. But it doesn't prevent me from calling Stats a dweeb. I bet I'm not the first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but I do it and attach my name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are still heroes in this world. kurt, we salute you!

    ReplyDelete